Find out more and expand your fishing knowledge. If you can't find the term/answer you're looking for, you could try:

- searching leading fishing titles such as Angler's Mail and Match Fishing
- using the form to the right to ask us your question.

  Your Guide to all those unknown fishing terms:
A quiver tip (sometimes referred to simply as a 'quiver') is a fine tip that is spliced or screwed into the end of a rod. Because it is fine, it can bend quite easily and quiver when fish are taking the bait.
Shirt Button Style
A term used when the shot down the line below the float is spaced out equally, so it looks like shirt buttons. This allows the hook bait to drop down through the water more gradually.
Sink ratio
The density of an object determines whether it floats or sinks. An object will sink in fluid/water if it has a higher density than the fluid/water. Density is a calculation of mass divided by volume. Co-polymer has around a 19% higher density than water. So essentially it is, as a ratio (or 'sink ratio'), expressed as 1:1.19. Normal mono lines are around 8% higher density than water, expressed as 1:1.08. M-Tech carp commercial line from Middy is therefore more dense than standard mono and will sink better.
Spade End
A hook that is not attached with an eye/ring. Instead, it has a flat section at the top of the shank that looks like a micro spade.
Not sure what a fishing term means. Then send in you questions and we will try to help.

Email Address:
Question: *